Sunday, November 2, 2008

Your Grace is Enough...Or is it????

2 Corinthians 12:9 But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

**Pretend you hear Chris Tomlin singing “Your Grace is Enough” in the background. If you have a hard time pretending you can click here.**

I love this song.

I've sung it with the radio while driving to Wal-mart.

I've sung it live in Daytona Beach, Florida with Chris Tomlin. (I was part of the audience.)

I've sung it with my praise team as we led Sunday morning worship.

I've sung it in my head as I've completed chores around the house.

Maybe you have too. It's a catchy tune reminding us of Paul's great declaration of God's sufficient grace in 2 Corinthians 12:9.


I have no doubt that in reality all we truly need is God's grace. He said it Himself: My grace is sufficient for you. And God does not lie. He knows that the absolutely worst thing that can happen to us is hell, and His grace and brutal sacrifice offer us deliverance from that. My question is: Do we believe it? Do I believe it? There's a lot going on in my life right now, and I'll confess that too often I find myself weak, vulnerable, and complaining. If I was completely honest the song might go something like this:

Your Grace - plus a good paying job, nice house, plenty of food, faithful friends, and healthy bodies - is enough for me. (Hmm...doesn't flow quite as well, does it?)

I'm reminded time and time again: God gave me everything He had when He gave me grace. He gave me Himself. Everything else should pale in comparison.

No comments: