Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Just Like Everyone Else

Life is hard.
Period.
There is no way around it. Sooner or later everyone breathing on this planet will experience difficulties of some kind. The possibilities are endless:

  • financial hardships
  • family strife
  • sickness
  • relational issues
  • hurricanes
  • fire
  • tornadoes
  • cancer
  • alcoholism
  • drugs
  • flood
  • famine
  • war
  • depression
  • death of a loved one

As I said, the possibilities are endless. There are some who think, even preach, that hardships are brought about by sin in one's life, that "Good Christians" don't suffer like everyone else. And while I do concede some "trials" are self-inflicted, it is downright cruel and just plain wrong to say Christians are above the hardships of life. We weren't promised a "smooth ride" when we gave our lives to Jesus. (Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.) Christians experience life just like the rest of the world.

We are tossed, battered, and bruised by life's storms, but we have an Anchor keeping us from being totally demolished.

We sometimes lose our way and get confused, but we have a Compass to refocus us and put us back on track.

We sometimes get discouraged, depressed, and heart-broken, but we always have Hope.

We make wrong decisions, bad choices, and miserable mistakes. Often we don't resemble what "Christians" should be, but we have forgiveness, mercy, grace, and rest for our souls.


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." ~ Matthew 11:28-29 (NIV)


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33

No comments: