Saturday, October 30, 2010

Word Power

Did you know that Abraham Lincoln once credited Harriet Beecher Stowe with starting the Civil War? How? With her book entitled Uncle Tom's Cabin. Did you know that Clement C. Moore gave America the now prevalent picture of Santa Claus as wearing a bright red suit and being jolly? Moore also brought us the concept of eight tiny reindeer along with their names. How? With a little poem he wrote for his daughters called "The Night before Christmas".

Words are powerful! They can change the course of history and establish popular culture. Words can challenge people to greatness, or tear them down to despair. The Bible says:

"The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." (Proverbs 15:4)

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." (Proverbs 12:18)

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." (Proverbs 16:24)

"The tongue has the power of life and death..." (Proverbs 18:21)

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4:29)

Not many of us will shape the culture or change the world by what comes out of our mouths, but every day we shape and change the lives of those who hear us, those closest to us. Let's shape them for the better.

"Silver Boxes"

My words were harsh & hasty
And they came without a thought.
Then I saw the pain & anguish
That my bitter words had brought.
Bitter words that I had spoken
Made me think back through the past;
Of how many times I'd uttered
Biting words whose pain would last.
Then I wondered of the people
I had hurt by things I'd said;
All the ones I had discouraged
When I didn't use my head.
Then I thought about my own life
Of painful words I've heard;
And of the times I'd been discouraged
By a sharp and cruel word.
And now clearly I remember
All the things I might have done;
But, by a word I was discouraged
And they never were begun.
So, help my words be silver boxes,
Neatly wrapped up with a bow;
That I give to all so freely,
As through each day I gladly go.
Silver boxes full of treasure,
Precious gifts from above;
That all the people I encounter
Might have a box of love

By Florence Littauer

No comments: