Thursday, April 5, 2007

Facing the Giants Study Guide Part 1

I've already given my review of Facing the Giants. I showed it to my Sunday school class and they all loved it as much as I did. In order to glean all the wonderful lessons it contains I went on a search for a companion discussion/study guide. That has been easier said than done, so I decided to create my own study guide. I'm posting it here for anyone who wishes to use this movie as a teaching tool. Almost all the quotes from the movie were captured by my daughter ClassyCassie. (Thank you, Dear!) I'll be posting these in segments as there are quite a few lessons to be learned.



Open Doors


Mr. Bridges, the gentleman who has been praying over the students' lockers for six years, has a word from the Lord for Coach Taylor. It comes from Revelation 3:7 & 8: These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut.

Questions:

What does Mr. Bridges mean by this statement?

How does that apply to our lives?

Praying for Rain


Coach Taylor to Mr. Bridges: “I admit to you I have been struggling. But I’ve also been praying. I just don’t see Him at work here.”


Mr. Bridges: “Grant, I heard a story about two farmers who desperately needed rain. And both of them prayed for rain. But only one of them went out and prepared his fields to receive it. Which one do you think trusted God to send the rain?”

Coach Taylor: The one that prepared his fields for it.”

Mr. Bridges: “Which one are you? God will send the rain when He’s ready. And you need to prepare your field to receive it.”

Questions:

What does it mean to “prepare for rain”?

How does this apply to our every day lives?

Is there some area of your life you've been asking God to take care of? How are you "preparing for rain"?

No comments: